At Visual Therapy, we’re all about Mind, Body, and Soul. As we work with clients to line up their optimal wardrobes and help them to be the best version of themselves, we’re huge believers that it’s not the dress, but what’s in the dress that matters. And even though clothes can help you feel like a movie star, there’s something that needs to be taken care of first on a deeper level. Welcome to “Wellness Wednesday”: our weekly feature to bring you tips for a healthy, whole and fulfilled life. This week, aesthetician and holistic health counselor (and our personal secret weapon!), Fabricio Ormonde, explores foods that will help you achieve glowing skin.
You are what you eat.
Whether you like it or not, your diet will reflect in your skin. Eat healthy food, and you will look healthy. Eat junk food, and you’re in trouble.
That is why it is important to know the right foods to eat for clear and glowing skin. The most basic skin care begins by eating right.
Creams and lotions can do wonders, but your diet is by far the most crucial when it comes to having healthy skin. Beauty is dependent on the overall health of your body. In order for your skin to look attractive and vibrant, make sure you make healthy lifestyle choices. A great place to start is with the foods you eat.
If you want your skin to feel soft and look firm, here are a few foods that you can eat starting today.
1. Green tea: Rich in antioxidants that reduce inflammation and protect cell membranes, green tea has been proven to reduce the damage of sunburns and overexposure to ultraviolet light, which in turn reduces the risk of skin cancer. It is also high in polyphenols – compounds that eliminate cancer-causing free radicals.
2. Blueberries: These delicious berries are one of nature’s most potent anti-aging foods. They help keep the skin’s elasticity, strengthen the gums, and contribute to the health of our eyes.
3. Brazil nuts: Help protect our skin from UV rays and help reduce dryness.
4. Strawberries: Help protect our skins collagen structures. Collagen is what keeps our skin firm. Wrinkles form when our collagen levels start depleting.
5. Avocados: These contain folate which helps blood formation. This is essential for cell regeneration.
6. Beans: Jammed packed with phytochemicals, fiber, folic acid, protein, calcium, and magnesium. Beans can stabilize blood sugar as well as lower cholesterol.
7. Dark leafy greens: A.K.A – Spinach, kale, and dark lettuce are loaded with vitamins and minerals like beta-carotene, vitamin C, folate, iron, magnesium, phytochemicals, and antioxidants.
8. Salmon: Along with other fatty fish, walnuts and flaxseed, salmon is high in healthy fatty acids that are key for achieving healthy skin. Essential fatty acids such as omega-3’s help keep cell membranes healthy by keeping out harmful substances, as well as allowing nutrients to enter cells and exit with waste products. Omega-3s also reduce the body’s production of inflammatory agents that can damage the skin.
9. Pomegranate: Very good source of polyphenol antioxidants. These antioxidants help neutralize free radicals that can damage the skin.
10. Açai: This Brazilian berry is rich in antioxidants, mineral and vitamins, supporting your skin from the inside out.
It won’t take very long to start seeing the major benefits these beauty foods will have on the health of your skin and the way it looks and feels. Here’s an acai berry smoothie for glowing skin – enjoy!
Glowing Skin Açai Berry Smoothie
- 2 packs of frozen Açai Pulp (you can find it at your local health food store)
- 1 organic frozen banana
- 4oz organic mixed berries
- 1 tbs of flaxseed oil
- 1/2 handful of raw cacao nibs
- 1 scoop of Raw Vegan Protein – I recommend SunWarrior Blend Raw Protein Powder
- 8oz of green tea
Add all the ingredients in to a blender. Blend it on HIGH. Add more green tea or coconut water if necessary.
Makes 3 servings. If you want you can cut recipe in half for less servings.