After working with hundreds of women from coast to coast, we’ve found that everyone belongs to either one, or a combination of our five style types. Defining your style type is a great place to begin when determining the direction you want to take with your personal style. It’s also a way to uncover who you are and what you like, determine what is appropriate (or not) when it comes to your putting yourself together, and identify which exciting fashion direction or possibilities exist for you.
SEE MORE: The Importance Of Defining Your Style
Memorial Day weekend officially kicks off the summer season so we’ve selected key essentials for each style type – find out what your style type is now and start shopping!
If you’re classic, you like simple, clean, and traditional pieces. You opt for a timeless look because the silhouette and colors rarely change. It’s always ladylike, timeless, and often tailored, just like this Issa sheath. The Hermes “H” slides are a staple for summer and classic watch will never do you wrong.
- Gucci Straw Hat, gucci.com
- Hermès “H” Leather Slides, hermes.com
- Issa Broderie Aanglaise Cotton Dress, netaporter.com
- Cartier Love Bracelet – new on cartier.com or vintage on TheRealReal.com
- Cartier Ballon Bleu Watch, saksfifthavenue.com
- Goyard Tote, goyard.com
Chic style is defined by a powerful look and sharp lines that seem to come together in an effortless way. It is often combined with bold accessories – in this case, the stack of cuffs and the gold spike accent on Valentino sandals do the trick.
- Jason Wu Cropped Cotton Blend Jacket, netaporter.com
- Eddie Borgo Set of 3 Geometric Bangles, bergdorfgoodman.com
- Valentino Rockstud Ankle-Wrap Thong Sandal, bergdorfgoodman.com
- J Brand Nicola White Skinny Jeans, shopbop.com
- J. Crew Petite Matte Crepe Tee, jcrew.com
- Céline Twisted Handbag in Natural Calfskin Tan, celine.com
Whimsical style is playful and appears to be “thrown together” but is actually a thoughtful combination of colors and patterns. If you’re whimsical, you’re usually young at heart and you’re look is fun or romantic. Mary Katrantzou’s florals, fun pearls and cute flats will hit the spot.
- Fallon Gold Plated Bangle Set, modaoperandi.com
- Chloe Lauren Leather Ballet Flats, netaporter.com
- Mary Katrantzou Amber Printed Satin Pleated Skirt, modaoperandi.com
- Ralph Lauren Crewneck Tee, lordandtaylor.com
- Alexander McQueen De Manta Large Studded Leather Tote, theoutnet.com
This style is relaxed, lived-in, or funky, incorporating offbeat accessories and usually lots of denim and suede. With an emphasis is on natural fabrics and earth tones, this style evolved from the hippie look of the 1960s and the early 1970s.
- Aurelie Bidermann Gold Wheat Cuff, barneys.com
- Sartore Studded Flat Gladiator Sandals, barneys.com
- Etro Paisley Maxi Dress, etro.com
- Jennifer Meyer Gold & Diamond Hoop Earrings, barneys.com
- LRVT Demi ‘V’ in Anaconda $975, visual-therapy.com/shopvt
This is an ultramodern style that uses fashion as an extension of your creativity. It often seeks to make a dramatic statement. Typically, the foundation for this wardrobe is all black, white or a combination of the two.
- Maison Martin Margiela Laminated Tote, maisonmartinmargiela.com
- Maiyet Desert Metallic Leather Sandals, netaporter.com
- Reed Krakoff Honeycomb Mesh Skirt, netaporter.com
- Lorae Russo Half Hoop Talon Amulets, loraerusso.com
- Lorae Russo Sappho Cuff, loraerusso.com
- Equipment Logan Washed Silk Top, netaporter.com