At Visual Therapy, we’re all about Mind, Body, and Soul. As we work with clients to line up their optimal wardrobes and help them to be the best version of themselves, we’re huge believers that it’s not the dress, but what’s in the dress that matters. And even though clothes can help you feel like a movie star, there’s something that needs to be taken care of first on a deeper level. Welcome to “Wellness Wednesday”: our weekly feature to bring you tips for a healthy, whole and fulfilled life. In this week’s issue, we’re excited to present to you 15 tips to living well & whole by registered dietician McKel Hill of Nutrition Stripped.
I often hear in the media or see a post on social media about some crazy fitness plan or restrictive diet – almost boasting that what the individual is doing, is the “right” way and the only way to “get healthy”. First, I beg all of you to take 1 minute, that’s all I promise, 1 minute to think about this- what does being healthy mean to you?
Let’s just sit on that question for a minute.
Once you’ve come up with your answers, visions, feelings, and thoughts around what being healthy means to you, I challenge you to take your health into your own hands, be your own advocate, and drop all the media influence telling you what you “should” be doing. Below, I’m sharing a list of my favorite small (and practical) steps you can take every single day to optimize your health. Nope, these aren’t additional “shoulds” from the media, these are practical steps EVERYONE can take!
YOUR GUIDE TO LIVING WHOLE AND WELL
1. Sleep // yeah, yeah, we all know it. Sleeping is important. BUT did you know that if you’re chronically suffering from poor sleep or insomnia, you’re also negatively affecting your hormones- especially those hormones that regulate hunger and stress, which can impact our weight. Aim for at least 7-9 hours every night.
- TIP: Set your “bedtime” boundary and don’t compromise. If you know you’re waking up at 6, 10pm is your cut-off!
2. Slow down// I’ve mentioned this time and time again, sounding like a broken record to my clients, but taking the time to slow down the mind through meditation allows your mind to refocus, re-energize, and ultimately be more productive.
- TIP: Try my 2-minute mindfulness challenge!
3. Organize // I’m an efficiency nerd, straight up. I’m on every to-do list app out there. Any resource I can get my little hands on to make time management effortless and to work FOR me not AGAINST me is awesome. How else are you to juggle and balance life/work/social without prioritizing and being organized?! I know when I first started creating my own business, this was a challenge for me, thankfully I have a mini-team on board to help me keep my sanity when running everything 😉
- TIP: Start your day with a to-do list and prioritize those tasks you MUST get done, before anything else. Some of my favorite apps we use are RedBooth, Mailbox app on my phone, Quick Notes, and google calendar. Nothing beats an old fashion pen and paper – many of you have seen pictures with my notebook in it, I practice what I preach!
Continue reading the post on nutritionstripped.com.