When writing our book “Work It! Visual Therapy’s Guide to Your Ultimate Career Wardrobe”, we came up with the concept of worksonalities, which identifies character traits that guide and inspire your work-related choices. There’s The Nurturer (Marianne Williamson), The Director (Michelle Obama), The Collaborator (Maria Shriver), The Mentor (Oprah Winfrey), The Muse (Sofia Coppola), and The Independent (Christiane Amanpour). Marianne Williamson was an obvious choice for The Nurturer.
SEE MORE: Find out what your worksonality is with our quiz.
One of the most important spiritual leaders and healers of our time, Marianne Williamson is changing the politics game by running for Congress in Los Angeles. When asked if her approach is too new-agey, “If everyone with a yoga mat in this district voted for me, I’d win,” Willamson said in her interview to Amanda Fortini for Elle US May.
The Nurturer brings out the best in people by making them feel comfortable and appreciated. She brings some of the traditional elements of being a woman into the workplace. According to Wiliamson, “feminine beauty is not a function of clothes or hair or makeup, beauty is an internal light, a spiritual radiance that all women have but most women hide.” We couldn’t agree more! When your inner light shines, and it’s aligned with your outer confidence, a whole new level of power is created that people can actually feel the moment you enter a room.
HERE ARE OUR STYLE TIPS IF YOUR WORKSONALITY IS THE NURTURER:
The Nurturer feels best in soft lines, neutrals and interesting jewelry.
- You love to commune with others, but make sure you don’t lose track of yourself. Try adding a few delicate pieces of jewelry to personalize your basic outfits.
- When you prefer to keep the focus on the others rather than yourself, it might make sense to stick to a specific system or formula. But why not broaded your system a bit? Add a new piece to your arsenal of basics. For example, if you always wear jackets, invest in a few cashmere cardigans to switch it up a bit.
- If your goal is to create meaningful relationships, you have to present yourself as someone people want to know – and that means no more baggy T-shirts! Try switching out your knits for a couple of woven button-downs.
- It’s crucial that The Nurturer not dress to provocatively, or efforts to connect with coworkers could be misread. Look for high, feminine necklines and classic wide-legged trousers to mix in with your closer-fitting pieces.
This look is a perfect guideline for The Nurturer: soft lines, neutral colors and statement jewelry will bring out the best version of yourself.
- Valentino Wide Leg Cotton Trousers, modaoperandi.com
- Theory Silk Crepe Top, netaporter.com
- Irene Neuwirth Labradorite & Rose Gold Long Necklace, barneys.com
- Saint Laurent Sac De Jour Small Leather Tote, netaporter.com
- Guiseppe Zanotti Snake-Stamped Point-Toe Pump, barneys.com
If you’re in Los Angeles, don’t miss an event by our friends at Estate Managers Coalition with Marianne Williamson as a guest speaker – details here.
Marianne Williamson is a candidate for election to the U.S. House of Representatives CA District 33.