One rainy Fashion Week evening, the Visual Therapy team headed downtown to the launch of the women’s Meandher collection of shoes in Equipment. Favoured by Poppy Delevigne (who is the face of the brand this season), Emma Watson, Louise Roe, Sienna Miller, Jessica Hart and Orlando Bloom, Meandher designs merge elements of men’s classic shoe design with statement fabrics and colors – think a suede lace-up in an unexpected bright fuchsia.
Emily Cooper, founder of Meandher, takes shoes seriously: the Australian-born, LA-based Cooper studied shoemaking at the prestigious Ars Sutoria footwear school in Milan, and produces all her shoes in Europe, ensuring all her designs are up to to Italy’s craftsmanship standards, using only the highest quality leathers.
Cooper’s motto? “Keep it simple.” We chatted with Emily about the SS 2014 Meanher collection, the history of the brand’s name and her androgynous/chic personal style.
1. What made you start the label, Meandher? Where did the name from? Meandher was established to put an end to my brother’s eternal quest for good quality, great looking mens footwear in Sydney. The name originated from the word Meander – we added the h for Her as we knew inevitably a women’s line would be born.
2. Your shoes are classic shapes with twists in colors and fabrications – what is your focus for the this SS14 season? This spring/summer we chose leathers of peach and navy patents, snake embossed black and whites, and highlighted the shoes with metallic toe caps and large leopard print suedes.
3. Partnering with the iconic French brand, Equipment, known for their chic and simple staple silk blouses and cashmere, seems like a match made in heaven. How did this collaboration come about? Equipment is the perfect fit. We share a common brand ethos in creating a high quality product focusing on simplicity, classic silhouettes and color.
4. Who is the Meandher woman? The Meandher man? She can be a girly girl, but lends herself to a touch of the androgyny. He is a man’s man. Both are not dictated by trends, but know what they like in style and quality.
5. If you could see any woman dressed in your shoes – who would it be? To be honest, any woman I see wearing a pair of Meandher shoes is pretty fantastic! Beyonce, SJP or Diane Kruger would be pretty cool too.
6. How do you describe your own personal style? Understated, polished and borrowed from the boys.